Friday, October 2, 2009

Bienvenidos a México





So I'm moved into my apartment & playing with this blog thing. I don't know if I'll have the patience to continue with it, or if you'll lose interest super fast even if I do, but it's a start.

Speaking of starts, I'm culture shocking pretty hard already thanks to little sleep & no meal for far too long. My apartment is very cute & in a great location, but even the layout & amenities are distinctly non-New York (may try to get some photos or something). Big bonus for the free internet & amazing rooftop deck (w/ wood-burning grill, naturally). Plus I'm close enough to what seems to be a karaoke place with it's windows flung wide open that with mine open I hear a hilarious serenade and a round of applause every few minutes that must be for me.

I'm staying in a neighborhood called Roma Norte which is a part of much larger Cuauhtémoc. All of this is within Distrito Federal, usually written D.F., which is the center part of a shockingly huge Mexico City. My place is only 2 blocks from Condesa (one of the hippest 'hoods & where my school resides) and a few from the gigantic Chapultepec park. No time like now to work on your Nahuatl pronunciations.

My place seems to be near a ton of little restaurants of various styles plus a major mall. I've already picked out my guy for a daily glass of fresh-squeezed juice & stunned a local sandwich joint by inhaling a torta & a beer in mere seconds (did I mention the delay in my feeding?).

I'll probably crash soon tonight, then really scour the 'hood to find out where everything is in the morning. ¡Besos!

*EDIT* The mall turned out to be a scary high-end department store, but they have a shop right near the front door that sells real Jamón Ibérico at a fraction of what it goes for in the US. It looks like I won't quit eating pork after all.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Congrats on having made it safe & sound to a decent place near useful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pix.. looks like a nice place!

    ReplyDelete